I made this chocolate ice cream cake for Jackson's 5th birthday. He requested a chocolate ice cream cake and I remembered this recipe that I got from my neighbor. It's great for a birthday or for when having guests over.
Ice Cream Cake
1- 4oz bar of german sweet chocolate
1- stick butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup carnation milk (small can)
1/4 cup butter (melted)
3/4 gallon of ice cream
1. Combine german chocolate, 1 stick of butter, sugar, salt and carnation milk in a medium saucepan and let it come to a boil, stirring constantly. (about 4 minutes) Take off the heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool.
2. Put oreos in a ziplock bag and pound them so they become crumbs. Spread in to a 9 x 13 pan mix in melted butter. Press down firmly so that it creates the crust. Cool in refrigerator.
3. After it is cooled, spread the ice cream over the crust. I think the easiest way is to buy 2 1/2 gallons of ice cream in the cardboard container and then just cut the cardboard off and then slice the ice cream in half (horizontal cuts) and place it in the pan. Just use as much as you need to fill up the pan and press it down so that it is evenly distributed.
4. Cover the ice cream with the cooled chocolate sauce. Put in the freezer.
5. To serve, you can either just put the whipping cream on top or spread the whipping cream over the entire cake before you put it in the freezer. I have also had this with peppermint ice cream and it was delicious!