My husband and I eat mostly vegetarian, so we are always trying new recipes that we AND our kids will like. One day I was looking around for some vegetable sandwich recipes and saw one that used sweet potatoes for the buns. I thought I would give it a try on our favorite black bean burgers. And we loved it! And our kids liked them too! So I think we have struck gold here. I even put some of the guacamole on theirs. It was one of those recipes where my husband and I looked at each other and said, "This is really good!" They are a tad bit messy, but the cucumber and onion help to give the slider more crunch.
Black Bean Sliders:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the sliced sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle some salt, pepper and/or other herbs you like (I added oregano and chipotle chili powder- but not on my kid's sweet potatoes) Bake them in the oven for about 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the sweet potato slices, flipping about halfway through.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, put beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork. Add egg, yellow onion, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Mix well to combine then shape into 8 small patties.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer (working in batches, if needed) and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
4. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and let cool. Layer one sweet potato, some guacamole sauce, the bean slider, more guacamole sauce, a tomato slice, a cucumber slice and red onion slice, top with another sweet potato slice.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp water
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
pinch sea salt
juice of 1 lime
1. Mix all of the ingredients in a blender.